Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Free Day


May 11, 2013

This morning, Brice, myself, and a few of the other students met at 10am to go on a bakery tour.  We had been talking about this all week.  Brice found several pastelerías within easy walking distance of the hotel, so we decided to go.  We went to a total of 2 bakeries before we all got tired of pasteries.  At the first, I split a delicious doughnut-type-thing with lemon cream icing with Hannah, and at the second, Hannah, Jess, Alex, and I all split this delicious desert that was made of layers of flaky pastry and delicious caramel.  They were both delicious, but I could not handle that much sugar so early in the morning.  At the third bakery, most people decided to get bread, or something else not-so-sweet, but Hannah and I went across the street to pick up some fresh vegetables from a small market.  I got 2 green bell peppers and ate one right away.  It helped with the sugar problem.

After the bakeries, we all went back to the hotel and relaxed for a couple of hours.  Some people blogged, some napped, and some just surfed the web.  At about 3:00, Hannah and I went to the shore to look at some of the local artisan shops.  We walked along, purchased some souvenirs, and enjoyed the sun.  We ended up walking far enough that we reached this castle-structure that we both thought was beautiful.

[Photo Upload Error]

This castle was actually a public building that we could tour.  I didn’t understand the sign, but I take it that the building is an important local structure.

[Photo Upload Error]

The building had two main parts, the old castle part, and a more modern part, which actually meshed well with the older structure.  When we went inside, the newer part of the building was open, but the older part was closed off behind a gate.

[Photo Upload Error]

It’s a shame, because those glass floors looked really cool, and they were right over the rocks and water below.

After the castle, we walked back to the hotel.  The whole day's walking had taken a couple of hours, and my feet really hurt.  Because of the bakery tour, I was still not interested in food, really, so I ate the second of the peppers I bought earlier.  Today was not nearly as busy as most of our days had been, but it was a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment